Fancy Flowers

Another flower painting!  But still in a kawaii style.  Just making it all round, cartoon-like and bright-coloured certainly adds to the cuteness.  It was a bit of an unplanned intuitive painting of adding layers and layers until I decided to create a negative space piece.  With the vivid colours, I thought a floral theme would be an idea.

Layering the Background

Once again, I began with brushing on some leftover paint on blank paper.  This time it was red.  I then added a bit of green and yellow before making some Gelli prints with the small round plates.  On the plates, I combined some white acrylic paint and pink acryic ink and doodled some little flowers and patterns on them before making imprints.  It’s been a while since Gelli printing so it was great to go back to it again!

Then I proceeded in adding more and more on top.  I grabbed some Japanese-language newspaper cut out some random shapes and glued them on before scribbling some flower shapes with some oil pastels.  I kept adding more ink and paint on top using a brayer, fingers and bubble wrap.  Looks good now!

IMG_1056

Creating Negative Space

As you know, negative space entails focussing on the background rather than the subjects.  This involves painting or concealing the shapes around the subject.  I firstly sketched the flower shapes using some blue oil pastels thinking I would colour around them in blue.  However, I changed my mind and painted around using some vivid green shade.  I think it looks better green, considering it compliments the red and pink and goes with the spots of yellow.

IMG_1067

Getting Positive

Hmmm… it could still do with a bit more.  I concluded the piece with some additions such as painting the centers of the bigger flowers in gold to give it some further vibrance.  For the bottom of the piece, I filled in with some fluorescent blue to break the monotony, and dotted that colour around over the green.  Finally I squeezed in some fluorescent pink doodles using some acrylic 3D liner by Sennelier.  And now, that’s much better!

IMG_9653

I really enjoyed creating the red/pink background of this piece.  No planning involved, just adding layer after layer as I went along.  That’s the funnest part!  The toughest part is what to do with it afterwards.  It’s not that you can leave it as because it would look lonely.  I then figured with these colours, flowers would be a logical progression.  Glad I went for it!  Now I’m very happy with this piece.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s