I call it Accidental Flowers because when I started painting and designing the background for another artwork, I was not sure about it anymore as it got too blue for the Polo Bunny painting I later ended up doing on another background. It’s a mixture of Ecoline ink, oil pastels and acrylic paint. Rather than discarding it, I thought I’d make some use of it and decided some flowers instead would look perfect for this background!
First I drew the outlines in red aquarelle pencil which can be erased or painted over without leaving any graphite marks. I then added a thin layer of gesso on the areas I wanted painted for a more opaque look. Finally, I grabbed some neon acrylic paint, and blended it with some red or magenta, and painted away! I mixed the paints with Gloss Medium. Since the background was so vivid and colourful already I didn’t want to make the painting too busy. I left the white areas as they were and chose not to add another layer on top. Keep it short and simple!
I really love this summer vibe. Am definitely in the mood for some brightness and lots of flowers!!